Jan 31, 2012
This tutorial introduces you to the website "Voice Thread." Voice Thread allows you to create an online discussion with your students on a topic, picture, or video. You will learn how to create an account, upload a thread, and make a comment on it. Please subscribe to our channel, rate our videos, and leave comments. If you have any questions or suggestions that you do not want to post directly to our channel, email us at email@example.com.
Jan 30, 2012
Jan 29, 2012
Jan 26, 2012
Week 3 (Jan 23 - Jan 29, 2012) This is what we are to do during this week.
During this week, participants will
- have an overview of online tools that can be used to develop learners' listening skills
- choose, at least, two online tools that might be used for listening skills and compare them
- share their findings with the group
Week 3 Tasks
|http://classdigitools.pbworks.com/w/page/47831214/Week3 here you'll find tasks with the necessary pictures|
Task 1 - Listening Treasure Hunt
a. Time is short. You're preparing for a class in which you want to enhance your students' listening skills. You've got exactly 30 minutes to find a hidden listening treasure. Click on any image below and start your exploration for the great listening hidden treasure. Take notes on what sites/resources you found interesting, their advantages and drawbacks.
b. Ready? Click on this alarm clock to set it up for 30 minutes and leave it there as you browse through the online possibilities.
Task 2 - Listening Review
a. Now that you've found your listening hidden treasure, share your notes and findings with your peers by comparing and contrasting some of the digital resources you've come across.
Go to our Edmodo Group, add your thoughts and see what others have found.
Task 3 - Listening Math
a. You've gone on a treasure hunt, had some time for reflection, interaction and learning. How about some Listening Math? Click again on the numbers above if you need, and you're going to choose two of the resources to combine them into a lesson plan idea.
For example, Our Moderator's Team chose the numbers
Our idea for a lesson plan would be:
|DIGITAL RESOURCES||http://smories.com |
computer lab with Internet connection and headsets or cellphones with recording capabilities
|CLASS LEVEL||Young learners in intermediate level and above|
|TIME FRAME||two 50-minute classes (one for choosing and listening to the stories and another for the recording part)|
|LESSON GOAL||By the end of this lesson, students will have|
|STEPS||The teacher tells a story about herself; then, the teacher invites students to listen to other kids telling their stories at http://smories.com. The teacher goes through the story building process with the kids, showing them the need for an introduction, the development and conclusion of the story and asking for examples from the stories the students listened to, pointing out to language structure to make a powerful story. For homework, the students write their own stories according to the teachers' guidelines and based on the story they listened to. In the following class, the teacher collects and checks the students' stories. Finally, the teacher chooses one of the tools suggested at http://www.mediabistro.com/10000words/3-unique-ways-to-record-edit-and-publish-your-audio_b980 to record students' own stories. The teacher publishes students' stories on a class blog or wiki.|
|ISSUES TO CONSIDER||The teacher might check if the headsets at the computer lab are all working.|
The teacher must make sure that the students take some notes about the stories they listen to in order to help them write their own stories.
The teacher must make sure the school's firewall will allow for the use any chosen digital resource to record students' stories.
The teacher might consider ask for some helping hands of other teachers in the recording stage.
If recording in class is not possible, this stage could be done at home. Students could, for example, record their stories in their cellphones and send them to the teacher via email or MMS.
b. Once you've decided for your two numbers, go to your digital portfolio and write a post telling us about your math (the two resources you chose) and sharing with the group your lesson plan idea.
c. Add the link to your lesson plan idea in the COMMENT AREA below.
d. Check what your colleagues have come up with and leave them comments.
Task 4 - Listening List - Going Beyond with your Listening Math
a. How about a twist to your Listening Math? You've got two numbers and their addition. Now, use the math result you got to make a list of X things you can do using to enhance your students' listening skills with the sites you've explored in your treasure hunt.
b. Add your list to your digital portfolio and share with us the link to your ENHANCING STUDENTS' LISTENING SKILLS LIST in our Edmodo Discussion Forum.
Further Explorations - Here are more Listening Resources
- Twitter - micro-sharing site | 1 | 1 | 11 | 43= F O
- YouTube - video-sharing tool | 2 | 3 | 18 | 22= F O
- Google Docs – collaboration suite (incl Google Forms) | 3 | 5 | 7 | 14 F O
- Skype - instant messaging/VoIP tool | 6 | 11= | 4 | 3= F/P D
- WordPress - blogging tool | 8 | 6 | 5 | 6=6= F O/D
- Dropbox - file synching software | 13 | 71= | – | - F/P O/D
- Prezi - presentation software | 12 | 28 | - | - F O
- Moodle - course management system | 10 | 14= | 9 | 12= F/D
- Slideshare - presentation sharing site | 5 | 7 | 20 | 31 F O
- (Edu)Glogster - interactive poster tool | 25 | 55= | – | - F O
- Wikipedia - collaborative encyclopaedia | 16 | 17 | 13 | 26= F O
- Blogger/Blogspot - blogging tool | 14 | 14= | 10 | 9 F O
- diigo - social annotation tool | 15 | 22= | 35= | 72= F O
- Facebook - social network | 9 | 31= | 24 | 17= F O
- Google Search - search engine | 11 | 8 | 6 | 3 F O
- Google Reader - RSS reader | 7 | 4 | 3 | 7= F O
- Evernote - note-taking tool | 23 | 27 | – | 16= F D
- Jing - screen capture tool | 17 | 20 | 26= | - F D
- PowerPoint - presentation software | 21 | 13 | 8 | 5 P D
- Gmail - web-based email service | 31 | 21 | 14 | 7= F O
- LinkedIn - prof social network | 30 | 38= | 30= | 31= F O
- Edmodo - edu social networking site | 46 | 88 | – | - F O
- Wikispaces - wiki tool | 17 | 29 | 19 | 15 F/P O
- Delicious - social bookmarking tool | 4 | 2 | 1 | 2 F O
- Voicethread - collaborative slideshows | 19 | 19 | 23 | – F/P O
- Google+ - social network - F O Highest placed new tool
- Animoto - videos from images | 28 | 31= | - | - F O
- Camtasia- screencasting tool | 27 | 26 | 26= | 50= P D
- Audacity - sound editor/recorder | 24 | 9= | 12 | 11 F D
- TED Talks - inspirational videos F O New
- Yammer - private microsharing platform | 68 | 71= | – | - F/P O
- Google Earth - virtual globe | 41 | 43= | 40=| 40= F D
- Scoopit - curation software – F O New
- PBWorks - wiki tool | 33 | 34 | 35= | 43= F/P O
- Google Apps - branded app suite | 34 | 38= | 68= | - F/P O
- flickr - photo sharing site | 20 | 18 | 15 | 16 F O
- Tweetdeck - Twitter client | 37 | 43= | - | - F D
- Google Maps - online maps | 58 | 67 | 34 | 36= F O
- Wordle - word cloud generator | 22 | 30 | - | – F O
- Voki- speaking avatar creator | 75 | - | – | - F O
- Symbaloo - Internet portal/dashboard F O New
- Word - word processing software | 60 | 36= | 22 | 10 P D
- Google Sites - wiki/website tool | 39= | 71= | 59= | - F O
- iPad and apps - New
- Google Chrome - web browser | 44 | 55= | – | - F D
- Articulate – e-learning software | 43 | 24 | 25 | 22= P D
- Snagit - screen capture tool | 42 | 25 | 21 | 26= P D
- Adobe Captivate - demo/scenario tools | 38 | 22= | 30= | 17= P D
- Vimeo - video sharing site | 70 | – | - | - F O
- Geogebra - maths software for schools – F D New
- Screenr - screencasting tool | 58 | 55= | – | – F O
- Mindmeister - mindmapping software | 73= | 55= | 42= | - P D
- Picasa - photo organiser | 46 | 63 | - | 57= F D
- Wallwisher - online noticeboard | - 26 | - | - | - F O
- iPhone/iPod Touch and apps | 39 | 31= | 50= | 43=
- Scribd - document sharing tool | 54 | 71=| 83= | 50= F O
- Ning - private social networking plat form | 31 | 11= | 16 | 31= P O
- eFront - course management system F/P D/O New
- Adobe Connect - web conferencing tool | 61 | 41= | 66= | 72= P O
- Elluminate/Blackboard Collaborate - web conferencing | 35 | 43= | 50= | 50= P O
- OpenOffice - office suite | 61 | 71= | 41= | 31= F D
- Storybird - collaborative storytelling | 71 | – | – | - F O
- Knol - share what you know – F O New
- LiveBinders - 3-ring binder for the web | 61 | – | – | – F O
- Sharepoint - intranet platform | 75= | 50= | – | - P D
66-100In this the bottom 1/3rd of the list, there are a lot of tied places.
- iTunes and iTunesU - music/podcast player/site | 51 | 41= | 28 | 26= F/P D
- Mahara - e-portfolio platform F D New
- lino - online stickies F O New
- Outlook - email client | 95 | 67= | 38= | 17= P D
- Posterous - blogging software | 36 | 55= | – | - F O
- Storify - makes stories using social media F O New
- Udutu - collaborative course authoring tool | 95 | 64= | – | - F/P O
- Hootsuite - social media dashboard | 74= | – | – | – F D
- BigBlueButton - web conferencing F O New
- Edublogs - educational blogging tool | 48 | 49 | 59= | 72= F O
- Etherpad + clones - real-time text collab | 50 | 71= | – | - F O
- iGoogle - personalised start page | 44 | 16 | 17 | 17= F O
- iMovie - Video editing software | 95 | 88= | 66= | - P D
- Khan Academy - learning platform F O New
- SurveyMonkey - survey tool | 48= | 88= | 54= | - F/P O
- Excel - spreadsheet software | – | 50= | 27 P D
- Google Calendar - online calendar | 53 | 50= | 29 | 36= F O
- Kindle - ebook reader New
- Poll Everywhere - instant audience feedback F/P O/D New
- Quizlet - flash card and study games website F O New
- Screencast-0-matic - online screen recorder F O New
- TeacherTube - edu video sharing site | 90 | 64= | 80= | 57= F O
- Zotero - collect/manage research | 57 | – | 66= | 72= F O
- Blackboard - course management system | 68 | – | – | - P D
- Android phones and apps | 85 | - | - | -
- bubblus - collaborative mind mapping tool | 89 | 55= | 83= | - F O
- Buddypress - social networking software F D New
- Composica - social e-learning authoring system P D New
- Adobe Flash - animation authoring | 81= | 38= | 38= | 43= P D
- Fuze meeting - web conferencing P O New
- Netvibes - personal start page | 61 | 55= | 37 | 26= F O
- Paper.li - daily digest of tweets F O New
- ReadItLater - save pages for later F O New
- Weebly - website/blog software F O New
- OneNote - personal information manager | 85= | – | 66= | - P D